Time for a Game Brainstorm

 Let's get started!


Brainstorming spider diagram
Image source

Idea 1:
Online Rubik's Cube

My first idea for a game comes from my childhood rather than internet research. I used to simply call it "The Colour Blocks" but would like to change the name to something more interesting. It's a game similar to a Rubik's cube as you have to sort out each colour in its place. It's a fairly simple yet educational type of game in my opinion. I think it could be a nice game for anyone to play and have fun with it. It is easy to play and it's a good mind game that doesn't require any magnificent gaming skills or knowledge. I really enjoyed playing it when I was younger using colourful building blocks that I had. Since I have the opportunity to make my first game, I would like to consider this one and turn it into a video game.

The game has a square platform and starts off with 4 rows that consist of 4 blocks except the last row which has only 3 blocks. Each row has its own colour, for example row 1 is red and row 2 is blue. The player receives the colours all mixed up and has to move each block back to its row colour. The purpose of this game is to sort out the colour blocks into its colour space by moving one block at a time. As mentioned above there is one empty space for a block so the player can move the colourful blocks around. 

As you get further in the game the amount of rows and blocks increases and then you get extra blocks with colours that aren't on any of the rows while in addiction some colour blocks are missing from the game and you must use the extra blocks to form a certain colour that is on a certain row but it's not on any of the blocks. For example, row 1 will be green but the player won't have any green blocks available, however the player might have blue and yellow blocks on them so they will have to put those two blocks to create green and so on.

Idea 2:
Inspired by Ball Balance
and Coin Rush

My next idea is to create one of those ball balance games. I have played a few of these type of games before and they can be very entertaining and these keep the player interested for a long time. It is a game that requires a lot of focus and an example of this type of game would be the Microsoft "Ball 3D" that you can play for free. It is one of those games where you are a ball for example and have to complete a specific course without falling off the platform or getting squashed by a dangerous object. I feel like this type of game would be very fun to create and it would allow me to practice creating different shapes, moving objects etc. There is plenty of different things that can be done and you have unlimited course ideas. This type of games gives you the opportunity to be creative and have a lot of fun in development.  

For my game I would be looking to change and add some bits to make the game more personal and slightly different from other games that have the same idea. If I decide to go with this idea, I will try to put in some extra bits to make the game more fun for the players. I feel like sometimes games that require only one action from the player like just balance the ball all the time can get frustrating and eventually players give up playing. Therefore I would be looking forward to add bits along the way like objects that you need to crash or break.

   I was thinking of giving the ball an impression of an ice ball to give players a certain amount of time to complete the game. This will keep the adrenaline going for the player and make the game more challenging. The player will have to complete the task before the ball of ice melts, in addiction avoid certain objects that could melt the ball faster because then the player will fail to complete the game. To make the game more interesting I have a few ideas of adding freeze zones that would give the player extra time and make the game easier. 

Idea 3:

                                                                        Crazy Roll 3D
                                                                   Play Crazy Roll 3D

Other similar game: Euro Soccer Sprint

This next idea for a game was inspired by the game above and would like to make something with the same idea. I played this game and other similar games online to get a better understanding and see which game had the best features in them. Out of the few that I have played this one the "Crazy Roll 3D" turned out to be the best of them all. It has speed zone which some others didn't have for example. It is a good, easy game to play that all ages will enjoy to play. The instructions of how to play are basic which allows the player to start the game and learn the controls very fast, this means the player can start to enjoy the game straight away.

For my version I'd be looking to change the ball to something else that would look more fun visually like a bar of soap sliding down or a banana peel. I think that games that are simple to play are much better if they are made funny and look creative, otherwise people get bored of the game fast or don't even play it if it doesn't look appealing. A game that is funny or makes you smile is a unique game that will stand out from other games of the same idea.

In the "Crazy Roll 3D" game the player moves from one platform to another as the ball is rolling down. On their way the player must collect diamonds that are the points in the game. In my version if I will create a soap bar sliding down a bathtub for example, I would also set out points for the players to collect but I would like to add different obstacles for the players to avoid. Perhaps there could be a cloth that would slow you down in the game or fun jumps. This will make the game more entertaining and will create some difficulty to complete the game. 
    
Idea 4:

Inspired by Forza Horizon

 
For my last game idea I am interested in making a racing game since these are one of my favourite games that I like to play. I am a fan of car racing games but as a CDM students I feel the responsibility of making something more creative than a simply car race game. The above two games are both very different but they bought bring plenty of entertainment. Forza Horizon is a huge serious game where you race with 100's of cars whereas Disc Drivin' 2 is rather more of a fun little game for everyone to play. Despite those differences the main idea of the game is the same, to win the race. I came across Disc Drivin' 2 while I was doing my research on games, I was also looking for some inspiration and I have to say it is a fun and addictive game that you can play with your friends.   

Sometimes the more basic games are the ones will enjoy more and every game is better when we can challenge our friends. This makes the game more addictive and more playable. We look forward to beat our records and friends, this means we play more and share the game with other people.

After playing this game for a while I thought of making a racing game with something usual as well. The is many racing games like car racing, motorbike racing, horse racing or people racing games. Therefore, I think it would be a good and creative idea if there would be a racing game that would involve something different like Disc Drivin did in their game. I was thinking about having little ghosts that would have the power of eating one another after collecting super powers on track. The players would get an opportunity to knock out a player and take their place. 

I am also interesting in taking this idea into a more comic game like racing with bread toasts down a butter track. This would be a silly and weird racing game that could bring a mass of good-humour. This odd game would be improved by adding jumps or obstacles, the start line would be the toaster and the finish line could be a plate. This idea brings out the hunger in me.     




Comments

  1. Hi Wiktoria, I really like the game premise about Crazy Roll 3D I totally forgot about that game but remember playing it with friends in school during computer class when we were supposed to be working haha. I wonder how the game will play if you play as a bar of soap instead of a round ball, the coding might get a little weird but it could be easily fixed. I think maybe if you add a round collision box to the soap then it won't bounce around like a rugby ball. Good luck with it anyway I'm sure you will find a way to make it fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Designer

Game Design

Game Vision Statement