Game Design

 Reading about Games

Type of a game
Image source

After doing the reading, I realised that there is a lot more to games than just a good idea, plan and software tools. I think that the question in the first reading "what is a game" is an extremely hard question to answer because it can mean something different for everyone. The truth is that most things in our life that we interact with a lot will have a different meaning to an individual. For someone a game might be nothing more than just a little fun way to complete a level or task and move on to the next one. Gamers see it as being part of their life, their break from reality, a brain exercise etc.

There are some people that don't find a big interest in games and will have an even more different opinion on "what is a game?" I myself like gaming, I do it often if I have the time however thankfully I never get obsessed which means I can play whenever I have time and still be have my chores done. In my case I wouldn't say games are addictive for me but it can be for someone else.

From browsing through the other two readings, I noticed that game design has a very similar process as designing a poster or writing a short story for example which we are all familiar with, this gives us all a chance to try game design. When you are writing a short story, you need to brainstorm about the plot of the story, develop your characters, set a setting, a challenge etc. All this is very close to almost making a game, you are only missing the fun part of making it visual and come to life. Game Design sounds so complicated and difficult when you only play them and don't know how they are created from step 1. However when you read and find out how they are created in steps then it all starts to look possible and your mindset changes. 
 


Comments

  1. Hey Wiktoria, Its Ellen! I think your opinions and views on the "Game Design" reading are very interesting. I agree that everyone has a different opinion on what is a game! for example if I asked my Mam for a game idea she would think of chasing or rounders, she would never think of anything technology based as the is not her generation. Hope this semester goes well for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wiktoria, I liked reading your take on what a game is and I agree that a game can mean different things to each person. I admire the way you're able to manage your responsibilities and not get too carried away by gaming. I find it helpful that most of the skills we need to come up with game ideas, we are already familiar with as most of us have designed a poster or written a short story in our past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Wiktoria! Very interesting look at games design here. It's very intriguing to think that games design has the same processes as making posters or writing a story and I think that says a lot about how games are another art medium. Your post is very passionate and that's wonderful as I can see your interest in games through what you've typed here. Can't wait to see what you will come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wiktoria! I really liked reading your blog post here on Games Design. I like how you referenced the image you used and also how you explained the papers you wrote in very good detail. What I also like is you did not write a lot on this blog post, so the reader does not have to take a lot of time to read it. Great work Wiktoria :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Designer

Game Vision Statement