Game Elements

Reading about game elements


Game controller 
Image source

Links to the readings:
What are the qualities of Games?

Game design research

Video link

The game is composed of many different elements, there are elements such as atomic Elements which refer to players, objectives, rules, etc. There are the things we focus on when we are thinking of making a game. However it is hard to be specific about what are the actual atoms of the game in the same way as it is hard to give a proper definition of what is a game. Critical analysis for a game differs a lot compared to other critical reviews for other things like food for example. A game is reviewed under a more positive way rather than negative. The point of the review of a game is to make it better and learn what works and what doesn't instead of giving it a star review. In my opinion I think the critical review for a game is more of a game test and improvement.
 
The reading of "Game design research" is very detailed. Personally I got over whelmed with all the information and studies that were mention. It was demanding to write up a post for this part after browsing through. The author focuses on the whole game design and deeply looks into this topic.  The author goes back into history to get as much insights as possible. It was surprising to me to find out the amount of studies and research that have been undertaken so far in the field of game design. It is argued that amongst people that game designs books teach about the principles and elements of game too yet very little attention is given to the actual design activity. This states that by focusing on Game design books the designers don't receive as much design activity as they should.  

I found the video very helpful as it made me feel more comfortable and set me out on a track for my game design. I didn't know game designers work in such a way and take the following steps like shown in the video. I had a strong thought that games are designed straight of the screen but this video changed my mind. The video shows all the experimentation that went into making a basic game idea. It looked like the two creators really had fun and enjoyed the development of their game idea. I hope to have that much fun with my game and I feel like I will start on a good path following that video.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Designer

Game Design

Game Vision Statement